LIST  July 2018

LIST July 2018

Re: US car export and best-selling car in US

Lance Gatling <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 1 Jul 2018 16:42:34 +0900

It's not the engine size. While I'm sure some auto expert will have
details, it is doubtful that a Japanese minicar would ever pass
today's US impact safety standards. Years ago I think some Suzuki
Jimnys were exported to the US for a while with a four cylinder four
stroke gas engine instead of the Japan market three cylinder two
stroke motor. That's about the only Kei-jidosha I recall being sold in
the US. It was such a rollover hazard that I'm sure there's no way to
get it in the US today.

To meet the crash safety standards you'd have to bulk up the body so
much that the already pretty much gutless, underpowered kei cars would
perform like boat anchors. So, not fun, not fast, and not marketable.

When Tesla introduced the 2008 Roadster on a Lotus chassis, I seem to
recall an article that said in effect that was likely the last car so
small as the safety standards were changing.

Lance Gatling