LIST  July 2018

LIST July 2018

Fwd: [NBR's_Japan_Forum] Meiji Restoration

Lance Gatling <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 9 Jul 2018 19:47:22 +0900

Ms. Kotler writes of a bunch of pretty unappetizing industrial sites
that the Japanese offered up as UNESCO sites years before 2015, as
they seem to have been approved in 2015.
"..... None of the sites, however, give their full history and focus
only on the few initial years of industrialization in early Meiji with
little reference to Western influences."

The first casual click on a Google search discloses the actual UNESCO
website where you can see Japan's current 18 cultural, 4 natural, and
8 tentative sites. My impression is the deal is done.

And the importation of Western technology is mentioned several times
at a glance, so I'm not at all sure what Ms. Kotler is on about.
Excerpt marked ***** below

https://whc.unesco.org/en/statesparties/jp
 Sites of Japan’s Meiji Industrial Revolution: Iron and Steel,
Shipbuilding and Coal Mining

The site encompasses a series of twenty three component parts, mainly
located in the southwest of Japan. It bears testimony to the rapid
industrialization of the country from the middle of the 19th century
to the early 20th century, through the development of the iron and
steel industry, shipbuilding and coal mining. ****The site illustrates
the process by which feudal Japan sought technology transfer from
Europe and America from the middle of the 19th century and how this
technology was adapted to the country’s needs and social traditions.
The site testifies to what is considered to be the first successful
transfer of Western industrialization to a non-Western nation.****
""

It would be (perhaps at best, only very moderately) interesting to see
real academic investigation of these sites and their progression
towards UNESCO status. (I was once told by some Tokyo real estate
folks the kiss of death was the designation of your building as a ward
/ city / prefectural / national heritage site, because then you'd have
to undo it to redevelop the site or try to work around it, which is
I'm sure contributes to why buildings are destroyed as soon as
possible without any consideration for preservation.)

One wonders if these heavy industry sites were designated Very
Important Culture Sites! then someone decided the only thing left was
to seek (and apparently get) UNESCO status and at least have leverage
for some tourist income and some government preservation funding. I
guess there's some appeal to UNESCO sites for international travelers,
but some of these places are really not attractive and not in normal
travel zones.

I may ask someone that actually knows something about the travel
business in Japan to contribute a comment, but as a busy businessman
without an ideological ax to grind, I'm not sure he'd bother.

Lance Gatling