LIST  December 2013

LIST December 2013

Re: Abe ignored US objection

Ken Courtis <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 28 Dec 2013 02:57:30 +0900

A majority of public opinion in Japan, and throughout Asia, Germany,
Canada, Australia, the UK and the US have all strongly urged the AbeAso
govt to drop these provocations --the 731 affair, the 'let's learn from
the Nazis' speech, the refusal to qualify the invasion and occupation of
Korea, parts of China, and other regions of Asia as aggression, the
secrecy law, qualifying demonstrators as terrorists, the Tenno Heiki
Bonza, which apparently greatly embarrassed the emperor and his family,
the worshiping of at the war criminals shrine of Abe yesterday, and of
most of his cabinet earlier,  the back tracking on the slave labour
issues (the Aso family of course used slave labour in heir coal mines
both in Korea and in Japan), the backtracking on the sex slaves issue,
the complete unwillingness to enter negotiations with Taiwan, China, the
Koreas, and Russa about the contested territories..., among others, are
all accumulating to weaken support for and the credibility of the AbeAso
govt in Japan, and around the world.  Articles, such as the Dec 16
editorial in the NY Times, are becoming more frequent.  I will post
later on discussions I have had in this regard over the last month in
the US with sr. policy makers and long-time supporters of Japan, the the
shift that that is starting to occur is startling as is the awareness of
just how far right nationalist the AbeAso regime is.

Kenneth Courtis

On 28/12/2013 12:05 AM, Wang, Jianwei wrote:
> Abe visits war-related shrine ignoring U.S. objection: official
> WASHINGTON, Dec. 26, Kyodo
> Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's visit to a war-related shrine Thursday followed urging from the United States not to do so, prompting Washington to harden its language in a reaction statement, a U.S. government official said.
> Another U.S. government official blasted Abe for visiting Yasukuni Shrine, saying the act has rendered recent U.S. efforts to help Japan mend fences with neighboring countries "useless."
> The U.S. government repeatedly asked Abe through informal channels not to visit the shrine in Tokyo, worrying that it would draw strong reactions from China and South Korea and develop into a major international problem, the first U.S. official said.

---