LIST  December 2013

LIST December 2013

Re: Abe's Yasukni visit

Kazuhiko Togo <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 29 Dec 2013 21:21:01 +0900

Dear Forum members,

The year 2013 was certainly a very eventful year,
but I was expecting a reasonably calm end of the year,
with a certain hope that what was not achieved in this year might be carried
over to the following year 2014.

But Abe's visit to Yasukuni shattered that sense of expectation.
I had a long interview made by Asahi Shinbun as of December 29, page 9,
and an article just posted to the East Asia Forum, beginning with the
following:

"To those who are general supporters of Abe’s economic, political and
foreign policy initiatives, including myself,
his visit to Yasukuni on 26 December was a bombshell of disappointment and
helplessness.
In order to resolve the issue of Yasukuni visits in Japanese politics that
has been dragging on since the time of former Prime Minister Koizumi,
I ahve argued that the Japanese themselves needed to come to terms with
their own history.
In particular, the question of Japan’s war responsibility needs to be
definitively addressed,
and until this and other issues are resolved there needs to be a moratorium
on prime ministerial visits to Yasukuni.

Since Koizumi’s Yasukuni visit on 15 August 2006 there has actually been a
de facto moratorium in place.
But this period was not accompanied by a substantive government-led public
discussion on how can Japan come to terms with its past.
Abe’s visit broke that seven-year moratorium and his speech after the
visit — emphasising the need to mourn the war dead and commit to policy of
peace —
made no mention of Japan’s war responsibility."

The remaining link to this article is as follows:

http://www.eastasiaforum.org/2013/12/29/abes-yasukuni-visit-isolates-japan/

Kazuhiko Togo