LIST  June 2015

LIST June 2015

Re: thought control and false equivalence

Alexander Kinmont <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 1 Jul 2015 06:47:39 +0900

The circumstances are that such views are not muzzled in Japan, are capable of expression at better universities, and are in no useful sense 'marginalized'.

Despite the sort of random unpleasantness that Mr Johnson cites, it is not clear that Japan is unique in having unpleasant cranks (death threats were recently made in the UK against a goalkeeper who moved clubs and against the head of the BBC for sacking a television presenter to take two examples); nor is it clear that unpleasant cranks enjoy any form of government leniency, sponsorship or protection (an arrest has been made in the case Mr Johnson cites); nor is it clear that any particular form of unpleasant crankiness has grown in importance under the current administration.

A Kinmont