LIST  February 2016

LIST February 2016

Two Okinawa pieces from the Washington Post

Anna Fifield <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 8 Feb 2016 15:21:49 -0800

Dear all --

Two pieces, with video and photos, from my recent trip to Henoko:

In Okinawa, protesters dig in as work proceeds to relocate U.S. Marine base
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/in-okinawa-protesters-dig-in-as-work-proceeds-to-relocate-us-marine-base/2016/02/06/82d05264-c481-11e5-b933-31c93021392a_story.html

Protest voices: ‘Okinawans have been treated like we are disposable for too long’
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/02/08/protest-voices-okinawans-have-been-treated-like-we-are-disposable-for-too-long/?tid=a_inl

I've seen the criticism here that American media outlets ignore Okinawa, so I wanted to alert you to these stories, as well as the fact that I'd taken on board the comments made here.

I have also seen some wrong conclusions drawn here about why there is so little coverage of Okinawa -- this is not a matter of resources, at least not financial resources. For me, it's about time. I focus on Japan and the Koreas, but technically I cover all of Asia except China (yes, I know this is a huge territory but this is 2016 and many newspapers don't have Tokyo bureaus, or any foreign bureaus at all, these days. I feel extraordinarily lucky to have this job.) I keep a close eye on what's going on in Okinawa, but it's just one of the many places I need to make repeat visits to.

Second, the Okinawa story is a very incremental one, which makes it difficult to get a good grip on for news purposes. I had been looking for a strong news peg for an Okinawa story for some time, but without one, I decided to just go back to Henoko and listen again (I also went before the gubernatorial election at the end of 2014, and I interviewed Gov. Onaga again in Tokyo before his visit to Washington last year.) I thought it was important for the Washington Post's readers to know that the ferocity of the opposition to the base expansion has not waned, quite the contrary. Then I woke up this morning to emails saying things like: this story has appeared every few years for the last 30 years, just the names change. A fair comment, but it underlines the challenges of keeping up coverage of the Okinawa issue.

I'm always open to suggestions and constructive comments, so I welcome your insights/feedback.

Best regards
Anna

--
Anna Fifield | Tokyo Bureau Chief, The Washington Post
Tokyo: +81-80-4136-1403 | Twitter @annafifield |