LIST  February 2016

LIST February 2016

Re: Comfort Women conference in Washington

Jim Breen <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 24 Feb 2016 11:05:55 +1100

Thanks to Mindy Kotler for posting about the conference in Washington next
month and highlighting Minister Sugiyama's comments that `no documents were
found to suggest that there was “forceful taking away” of any women' and that
`the Government of Japan considers the issue resolved, [...] and that no other
surviving Comfort Women would be compensated.'

The case of Mrs Jan Ruff-O'Herne, who as a teenager was taken at gunpoint
from her parents and put in a military brothel, has had another airing
in the press
in Australia.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-17/jan-ruff-oherne-comfort-woman-wwii-japanese-government-apology/7174174

Her case, and those of the others in the former Dutch East Indies, sits
very uncomfortably with the official "no documents" and "issue resolved"
position of the Japanese government. I think the attitude is that the abductions
were carried out by army personnel without government approval, and hence
there is no need for apologies or compensation. Despite that, surely it is
not too hard to admit that there were cases of forced abductions and to
respond accordingly? Or are they waiting for them all to die of old age, at
which point the argument that they were professional "camp-followers" can
take over.

Cheers

Jim Breen

--
Jim Breen
Adjunct Snr Research Fellow, Japanese Studies Centre, Monash University