LIST  March 2017

LIST March 2017

Re: Labor market elasticities

"S. Urista" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 10 Mar 2017 00:03:23 -0000

Based on my long experience as a senior manager at major Japanese firms, my n = 1 answer is that by and large it is "female workers are generally not given the chance to benefit from the lifetime employment system".

I have seen far too many talented female co-workers 'drop out' - but only because they were pushed out, almost entirely by older Japanese male bosses that decided that the woman needed to spend more time at home making babies.

I wish I was even just half-joking, but I’m not.

-S

Scott Urista