LIST  March 2017

LIST March 2017

Re: Labor market elasticities

Scott North <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 10 Mar 2017 11:20:44 +0900

Kumazawa Makoto and others have been recently pointing out the detrimental symbolism implicit in LTE. Regular employment is supposed, in at least a tatemae sort of way, to be a long-term, mutual commitment. While this may sound good, his point is that LTE is also unlimited 無限定 in terms of duties, hours, location, and loyalty. This unlimited aspect represents the dominant employer class common sense of hatarakikata. Even those workers who don’t have LTE seem to respect its norms and the social hierarchy it creates. They then discipline themselves accordingly. How many have LTE is perhaps less important than the way of life it stands for.

Scott North