Print

Mr. Harari,

I am pleased to read your report of findings and your conclusion.

I wish to add that the number of female governors (who are elected by general voters, nothing to do with whether they passed the National Public Service First-Class Employment Test or not) of prefectures which are comparable with governors of states in U.S. In fact, the incumbent governors of Tokyo and Hokkaido are women. There have been 7 female governors.

Tokyo and Hokkaido are not prefectures, per se, but are often grouped with prefectures (Ken or 県), e.g., To (都), Do (都), Fu (府), Ken (県), as the aconstituents of the first local governmental level below the national government. Japan consists of 1 To (Tokyo-to), 1 Do (Hokkai-do), 2 Fu (Osaka-fu, Kyoto-fu), and 43 Ken (i.e., prefectures), which are integrally called as 47 To-Do-Fu-Ken.

According to a recent statistics, the 10 largest (in terms of population) ToDoFuKens are as follows (2015 statistics):

(in millions)

1.	Tokyo  13.52
2.	Kanagawa  9.12
3.	Osaka  8.84